Whether you are suffering from hair loss or just want to add length or volume to your hair, choosing a suitable hair product is always important. Weaves and wigs are common hair products, while which one to choose is a difficult decision for many of us.
Actually, it is all a matter of preference and conditions. Wig and weave are similar in use. Therefore, you must learn the difference between them so that you can determine which one best suits her or his needs.
What's The Difference Between a Wig And a Weave
A wig is made from either synthetic or human hair and covers the entire scalp area. Simply speaking, a wig is like a hat to wear it and off easily. It consists of a cap with hair attached.
A weave is an artificial or natural hair extension that’s fixed into human hair by sewing, gluing, or clipping. Rather than covering hair as a wig does, a weave is sewn directly into natural hair, accentuating and beautifying it.
The Pros And Cons Of Wigs
Wigs are undoubtedly the best choice for women to protect their hair and easily achieve their pursuit of hairstyle fashion. They can completely transform your hairstyle without having to make a permanent change.
Pros of Wigs
1. Unlimited Styles: Generally, making important hair changes or styles leads to expensive trips to the beauty salon regularly, but with different wigs, you can shake your hair shade or style loud at any time. You can use wigs to complete your various fashion styles and show different yourself. Besides, you may select various types of wigs according to your suitability.
2. Convenience: It's much more time-efficient to style a wig than your own hair. The wig's style will last for a much longer time. For all you busy gals, a wig could help save you a lot of time styling your hair in the morning, and who wouldn't want that extra time to sleep! Wigs are efficient because they do not need regular hair washing like your natural hair, they only need to be washed once or twice a month depending on your wearing frequency. Compared to your own hair washing, blow-drying, straightening, styling every day, a wig is your new best friend for convenience.
3. Protect natural hair: While wearing a wig, your own hair is kept under wig caps, which means that your natural hair is isolated from the damage of strong light, heat, and dyeing. This will improve your own hair's condition. You may find that your natural hair grows longer and improves in quality from this. Therefore, wearing a wig provides a protective barrier and gives your natural hair a chance to recover and get some love!
4. Longer lifespan: If you maintain a wig properly, it will last a really long time. You don’t have to change your wig frequently.
5. Easier to install: It is an easier process to install a wig. You can master the installing steps quickly. Here is a video for you to learn.
Cons of Wigs
1. Higher price: Human hair wigs tend to be much more expensive than hair weaves.
2. Glue allergy: All the lace frontal wigs are fixed by glue. You need to spray hair glue on the hairline. If you have sensitive skin, you may be allergic to glue and feel itchy.
3. Uncomfortable scalp: Especially in hot summer, some wig wearers say that their heads feel hot and uncomfortable. Wigs completely cover the scalp and will make you feel more stuffy.
The Pros And Cons Of Weaves
In addition to wigs, weaves are also the items that people often choose to change their hairstyles.\
The Pros Of Weaves
1. Various styles: There are various weaves for you to choose from. Just like with a wig, a weave gives you the option to experiment with styles, colors, and lengths.
2. More secure: Different from wigs, weaves are fixed to your hair through sewing them in, so you don't need to worry about it slipping or loosening. Once weaves are sewn in, they can last up to two months with proper care, meaning that you don’t have to spend time styling and installing them.
3. More natural: Weaves work with your existing natural hair. It just adds extra volume and length. No lace needs to deal with, so you don’t need to worry about you can’t handle the hairline perfectly. After you sew them in, they will be part of your natural hair and look extremely natural.
4. More affordable price: Weaves are more affordable than wigs. If you have a limited budget, weaves are a good choice to get beautiful hair at a lower price.
The cons of weaves
1. Salon cost: Weaves are known to be expensive to upkeep. You’ll need to consider the cost of the hair wefts and the cost of the hairdresser to sew it in and remove it. But you can also sew it in by yourself.
2. Cause hair loss: If you braid your hair too tightly, it will be very uncomfortable and cause headaches. If you often wear a weave and the braids are too tight, this could lead to traction alopecia.
3. Need natural hair base: Unfortunately, a weave isn’t a suitable choice for those with complete hair loss, as a weave has to be sewn into your own braided hair for it to be secure. If you have thin hair, wigs will be a better choice for you.
4. Regular cleaning: Weaves direct contact with your scalp. Therefore, the weaves and your braided hair will need washing weekly or every other week to overcome any build-up of dirt or oil.
Which One Is Better For You?
The decision on whether to choose a wig or a weave depends on your preferences and condition. Weaves and wigs give similar results when it comes to length, volume, longevity, and realistic look. Wigs are much better for conditions like hair loss, thin or damaged hair.
This blog listed the difference between wig and weave for you. We hope that you now feel comfortable understanding the wig vs weave debate and can get the most suitable wigs or weaves.